It’s hard to get the perfect pout or kiss for that matter, when you have to weather the elements. Dry winter air, arctic blasts of wind, and bright sunshine can seriously dehydrate your lips! The thin layer of skin on the lips does not have oil glands, whilst oil acts as a barrier for skin and helps to protect it from the elements. Did you know that you can lose up to 10 times more moisture through your lips than anywhere else on your face/body? This can seriously compromise your pout.
The lips are similar to a sponge: When they are exposed to moisture, they will absorb water and plump up. When dehydrated, they will shrink.
Follow these simple tips for a perfect pout:
1. Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated, if your body is sufficiently hydrated then your lips will be moisturized automatically.
2. Eat a healthy diet that consists of foods that are rich in vitamins A, B and C. Plenty of green vegetables and juicy fruits!
3. Use an emollient balm or ointment rather than a waxy stick treatment to moisturise your lips.
4. Hunt for balms that contain super ingredients like beeswax, Shea butter, vitamin E and almond or coconut oil. You can’t go wrong with petroleum jelly either.
5. Use a Lipstick/balm, containing at least SPF 15. Lips are vulnerable to sunburn because they lack melanin. This is a pigment which helps to shield your skin from the sun. The sun’s UV rays can impact the production of collagen on your lips which can lead to wrinkles on and around the lip area.
6. Use an SPF lip balm every day and reapply it at least once every two hours, because UV rays can get through a cloudy sky aswell.
7. Beware of shiny lipsticks or glosses that contain little colour because they can direct UV rays to the lip area. The high sheen reflects the sun’s rays and if the product does not contain an SPF, it can increase your chances of developing skin cancer.
8. Avoid matte lipsticks because they dry out your lips. Alternatively, use a hydrating lipstick or apply a layer of lip balm underneath.
9. Do not lick your lips as it will make them dryer! Saliva contains acids that help to break down food, but those acids can irritate your lips further.
10. Milk cream is a wonderful home remedy for softer and pinker lips, it will moisturise your lips and remove the dead skin:
Make a paste with milk cream, rose petals (crushed) and honey. Apply the paste to your lips with a cotton pad. Keep the paste on for fifteen and then remove with a cotton pad.
So come rain or shine, enjoy softer and smoother lips!